Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Orient Mako "TYPE II"

ORIENT "Black Mako II" 200M
Caliber 469 Twenty one jewels
47mm case diameter
I did not immediately go after the Mako II when it was first launched. Somehow, the lack of a lume pip on the bezel and the unprotected push button (for a 200M water resistant watch??) at 2 o'clock stopped me in my tracks. Many discussions went on the watch forums, affectionately calling this the Mako "Hogrider". I think this nickname sounded weird so I prefer to use "Mako II" instead.
This is a hefty chunk of cold steel with solid bracelet hooking onto the 22mm lugs. The case stands at a massive 47mm! For someone with a small wrist (like myself), I guess I should give the steel a miss and go leather instead (as shown in the later photo).
I bought two of these giant babies - the Black for myself and the Blue for my father (as he already has a black Oris Diver). Compared to the shimmering blue dial of the Blue Mako, the Mako II is a tad more of a metallic matted finish.




(The above photograph of the movement was taken from a Watchuseek thread posted by "lan61t")
The Mako II on leather seems less fierce; I don't think I have the built nor the aura to carry such a huge watch in full steel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kohym,
I'll hv my Mako end of this month,just asking as for ur Mako in leather strap...are you using an original strap..?or only a compatible one..?but it look nice on your Mako...U can mail me at khairil@png.digi.com.my.Thanks dude...