Sunday, July 6, 2008

My late Grandfather's daily beater

I do not remember my late Grandfather wearing this RADO. I guessed I was too young that time to notice. Furthermore, my interest in watches started many years after his passing.

One day many years back, I found this watch dead with a broken crown stem, badly rusted case and badly scratched crystal. The date wheel was also totally stripped of all the printed dates. I kept this watch in the original condition as a memo of grandfather.

Recently I got acquainted with Mr. Goh (K2 Watch Co) and he is an expert in restoring vintage watches and Rolex. I showed him the Rado and he is surprised the movement is still in very good condition. After a complete overhaul, the Rado came back to life! Although Mr. Goh was unable to find a suitable replacement date wheel, this watch is still as magnificent with her beautifully aged dial.

I present to you the RADO Golden Horse 93J in pristine restored condition:


Thank you Grandfather for passing down a wonderful piece of horological art. Kudos to Mr. Goh who returned the Rado to life!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic watch! i've been looking at these vintage Rados for a long time!

Anonymous said...

Hi... from Argentine...

I have a RADO wacth. this was the watch of my grandfather.... this is most treasure of my life.... Is almost new. In a jewery offer me $2500 dollars, but i never sale.. none million dollar... This es perferct... legacy of honor and tradition he gife me. He die 7 year ago, but the watch presetent your lern every day....
Congratulation for You RADO...

Pablo Fregeiro Gil

Unknown said...

This is the second time I come across Rado Goldern Horse. I saw a man wear it in a cash converter shop (junk collector shop) the first time. All the while I have Green Horse and Purple Horse worn by my father it all in very good working condition for 40(GH)&50(PH) years, is still around with me.
Its a pity that don't make mechanical movement watch now, mostly quartz.

Singapore

KP said...

I still have my Rado Green Horse from my secondary school days.
Still running very well except some scratches on the glass.
Any idea who can change the original glass? Much appreciated!
kepiting1sg@yahoo.com

kohym said...

Hi KP, u may want to try K2 Watch at Tg Katong Complex level 3. Good luck!