Sunday, July 27, 2008

My First Mechanical Watch

As I have earlier introduced at the start of kymwatchlog, the Tissot LeLocle Automatic is my very first mechanical watch. I purchased this watch in Swiss Union, Times Square Kuala Lumpur. I had initially intended to purchase the Tag Heuer Carrera but this Tissot's clean minimalist look called out to me. The original band was a solid stainless steel 5-link bracelet, too much bling so a plain leather strap was a better choice.

Recently I put her on brown croc leather which I find to be more elegant. Somehow, white dials plus brown straps never fail. I am more a leather person due to my small wrist which makes re-sizing of steel bracelet a challenge. Some people says leather bands are not suitable for Singapore's climate. My workplace is air-conditioned to 20 deg cel so perspiration at the wrist is minimal. I see leather straps as an expendable item and with so many low cost leather straps to choose from in the market, you simply "wear-and-throw".

Here is the clear caseback of the LeLocle. The reliable ETA 2824 is used here and the gold plated rotating winding disc adds more charm to this simple watch. Tissot is a company under the Swatch Group so is not independent. This is why I steered towards another Swiss brand which is standalone since 1912 and never manufacture quartz watches till now. What brand is this? Most of you already have guessed from the year of founding 1904 - ORIS.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

discovered your blog by accident, links after links of reading watch topics; and i must say i got hooked on reading all your entries

i have read every single watch entry of yours and very very enlightening

you also managed to 'poison' me into getting the LeLocle auto :-)

kohym said...

i glad you enjoyed my humble blog and pardon my not-so-perfect English. this tissot is a good choice and you can get it used condition at approx. US$300 or lower. enjoy and good luck!

Anonymous said...

kohym,

your write-ups are all in perfect english... no worries

i read your honeymoon blog too...superb; i was in Geneva too from 11 to 18 Nov08, but didn't purchase any watch there

i'm from the neighbouring country across the causeway, which makes your blog entries even more relevant since you purchased and browsed watches in KL etc

Let me just use the nick 'Luke' for my comments instead of being Mr. Anonymous :-)

Well, the LeLocle i bought was new (old stock) ; I believe you abbreviated as NOS

- Luke

Anonymous said...

wasn't Oris founded in 1904 (instead of 1912) ?

-Luke

kohym said...

yes, it should be 1904, my bad, thanks for pointing out! :)

Anonymous said...

1912 is Fortis year of founding :-)

-Luke

Benjamin said...

what is he diameter of this watch? BTW I am looking at the new generation le locle automatics but this still looks simpler and nicer. you are so lucky to find this watch

kohym said...

dia with crown is 41.5mm. it was my first mech watch so at that time it was readily avail. the newer ones is not so classic imo with the rectangular block surrounding the font. but nevertheless still a very "safe" elegant watch. enjoy! :)

Benjamin said...

thanks. is it possible for you to give me the model number for this watch?

engelbert said...

HI...i just so LOVE your pieces...i lost my TITUS several years ago...and i am so missing it so much..huhuhu...God bless to you...

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Could you tell me what model number does this watch have. I don't seem to find much info about this particular model.

Thanks,
George

Anonymous said...

hi. i am interested and would like to purchase Tissot LeLocle Automatic in Singapore. may i know where to purchase it and the price as my budget is $300?