Saturday, December 6, 2008

My Dad's early Oris

ORIS Classic Roman indices Gold date
Caliber 7453 (?) 25 jewels
Solid gold bezel Oris stamped

My Dad bought this Oris in 1993 but stopped wearing it a couple of years back when the double lock clasp broke. I put her on leather strap. It was a beaten watch as Dad wore it daily back then.
The unique feature of this Oris is the solid gold bezel. I understand from the Oris Service centre that the Oris logo will only be stamped on to show solid gold. Thus it is not advisable to polish the bezel for fear of buffing away the gold!
After I sent the watch for repair and overhaul at Oris (which cost me $250!), this watch regained a new lease of life!

Can you see the gold rotor? Now this is an example of an even earlier Oris movement. I do not know the 3-digit caliber number and I assumed the movement to be the number shown on the caseback. If anyone knows more about this caliber, please feel free to email me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the four digits number is the case number, whereas the caliber is probably a 633, a modified ETA 2824-2.

Jaume

Anonymous said...

I told you, I thought it was a 633 caliber, bur it seems I was wrong.
http://www.passions.com.sg/v2/watch/oris-classic-18k-pink-gold-steel

Jaume (tresenraya)

Anonymous said...

I have the same watch - it is an Oris Radius. The calibre is an Oris Cal. 633 which is a (modified?!) ETA 2824-2. The 7453 is the Oris reference number.

Ken C said...

I got for my wife the ladies model of this Oris with a steel bezel. The watch face is quite nice.